Saturday, February 6, 2010

My Name is Bombay

I am
The Mega City
The City of Dreams
Of hopes and aspirations

I discriminate against none
And welcome all
I fulfill dreams, and wipe away tears

I feed the hunger of all
All
The money-hungry corrupt
The power-hungry politicians
The publicity-hungry stars
The breaking-news-hungry media

I have no religion
But all religions are welcome to me
The super-rich own me
But I belong to the masses too
I speak no language
But I speak them all
English, Hindi, Gujarati, Marathi, Urdu
They call me by different names
I am Mumbai to a few, Bambai to a few

But how does it matter
I am big - bigger beyond the hungry
I am India
Ny Name is Bombay

8 comments:

moon said...

Nice one....so you are one of the proud citizen of mumbai...

Rain Girl said...

I love you for this!

awesomest ever! i mean, because of the message.. :D

Anonymous said...

Love the message and I agree, for me Bombay by any other name is still Bombay.

Anonymous said...

hey! tza-tza here :) glad ur back! stay around.

The Restless Quill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandhya Menon said...

Read your older Bombay post. I am in your army. I've never called it Mumbai. I miss it like mad. Bombay, My bombay.

Anonymous said...

uve disappeared again!

Unknown said...

My name is no linger bombay Shrine